Thursday, August 3, 2006

Pinked up

I found out Tuesday that Evan needed a blood transfusion because his iron level is low. As people have told me, this is very common and is done for most premature babies. The doctor told me it sounds scarier than it is, that it'is very simple, just an IV. Yet Tuesday I was so emotional. The nurses decided to give me my own personal box of Kleenex and leave it at Evan's side at all times. I guess it was just sort of a shock to me, because I thought he was doing so well and would be coming home soon.

I wanted to give my own blood, but once I got to Stanford Blood Center, the nurses were all so sure that I would not be able to. I was only 5 weeks postpartum and the rule is you have to be at least 6. To their shock, my iron level was fine. Still, it took 2 hours to go through the process since I was an exception to all their rules. I guess they don't have many cases like this. Anyway, after every nurse there felt my arms for my elusive veins, they called on the master vein-poker, who got the needle in with one very carefully planned stick. I tried to escape after a couple minutes (I had to pump! I was late!) but they forced me to stay there for 20 minutes and eat cookies and juice.

The blood needed to be tested for over 24 hours, so Evan got the transfusion last night. JR was holding him and giving him a bottle when the blood started going in. We left before it was done (it takes a couple hours), so I called this morning and the nurse told me Evan really "pinked up". He will get more blood this evening, so maybe he'll be even pinker tonight! I can't wait to see him looking better.

As for when he's coming home, he had a brady episode late Tuesday night. And he needs to go 5 days without an episode... So maybe Sunday?

6 comments:

donna said...

I'm glad to hear that you were able to give your own blood, and that the transfusion went well. And that there was a master vein-poker that could find your vein (I sympathize with you there ;)

Sarah said...

Dear Mama-Bibi,
JR just gave me this blog-address...
I am very happy to find more news about the 3 of you although I can not imagine what you have been through.
But you are doing very well, and Evan is indeed beautiful! Such big eyes! Sure he looks like you ;-)
Grosses Bises

Anonymous said...

Bravo Karen,

You can be proud of yourself, going through this...
Courage to you and JR. Evan will be with you soon...

Mathieu

karen said...

Thanks you guys! I'm hanging in there... Actually I'm so happy when I'm with Evan, I just miss him when I'm home.

Anonymous said...

Chère Karen,
c'est vraiement incroyable toute cette énergie.bravo.
Nous avons du champagne dans nos valises cuvée "EVAN" et on espère vraiement le boire avec vous le jour ou ce petit vous sera rendu
je t'embrasse
à ce soir
Marie-claire

Jen said...

Hi K,
Glad to hear it went well. Can't wait to see that little guy!
Hang in there - he'll be home soon!
Love, Jen