Monday, August 7, 2006

Final countdown?

Evan should be coming home tomorrow. He hasn't had any episodes for over 4 days (it will be 5 days tonight). So everything is "on track" as the nurse told me this morning.

Evan really wants to come home. Last night when JR and I arrived, the nurse was holding him and rocking him and telling us he didn't sleep, that when she tried to put him in his bed he cried out as if the bed was full of needles. I gave him his bottle, and he was so sleepy.

He even slept through the burping...

Then he fell into a deep, peaceful sleep on Daddy's chest. What was that nurse talking about? When we come in, when we hold him, he is so calm! Hahaha. When we put him back in his bed he woke up, and almost cried but I patted him and tried to soothe him. He wants to come home, he wants to be with his Mommy and Daddy all the time.

He is doing so well and is really like a "normal newborn" now. As the doctors and JR's aunt (also a doctor!) told me, when he comes home I cannot think of him any longer as a sick or abnormal baby. When he comes home, we have to treat him like the normal, healthy baby he now is. Strange as it may sound, it will be a difficult adjustment after being connected both physically and emotionally to all those monitors and machines. But nothing can make me happier knowing our little Evan is healthy, and will be with us home soon.

Hopefully, the next posting and photos will be of his homecoming, a new birth.

5 comments:

Elaine said...

Yay! Yay for good news and hope. You're so right that it will be a new birth. You can finally enjoy this wonderful gift :)

Cute pics too!

Tatie Christiane said...

Quelle joie!
Tout va être maintenant normal et non médicalisé et tu vas pouvoir décider toi-même de tout avec JR pour Evan.
Sur les photos il est chou, à croquer et j'aimerais le tenir dans mes bras...
Plus tard...
J'aime la façon dont tu parles de lui et tu comprends ce qu'il exprime.
Je t'embrasse très fort Karen.
Christiane

donna said...

I'm so glad to hear the good news! You must be so excited! :-D

Jen said...

You are right, he DOES look like you when you were a little "bibi"!
I'll keep my fingers crossed - call me the minute he gets home!
Love, Auntie Jen or Tatie Jen!

judith said...

Way to go Evan! You and JR are in for a wonderful treat. I hope you can sleep tonight given this great anticipation.