OK, so I don't know much about birds...or nesting...but nesting is exactly what I've been doing lately. And I don't really know much about nesting feathers, other than that some birds use their own feathers as part of a nest. I suppose that's a good metaphor for preparing for a new baby--you are giving part of yourself over to the new life about to come, to make him/her more comfortable. I can totally see myself now as a fluffy, squinty-eyed little bird sitting protectingly over my nest. That's so strange because 6 years ago when I moved back to California I thought I'd be more of the flighty, migrating bird for several years to come... Me? Settle? Why not travel the world, experience a new life whenever I got bored? Man, I got bored so quickly in those days...when I was young...*sigh*. Now I'm a nesting mother-to-be...and it actually feels pretty good!
Thursday, May 25, 2006
Nesting
OK, so I don't know much about birds...or nesting...but nesting is exactly what I've been doing lately. And I don't really know much about nesting feathers, other than that some birds use their own feathers as part of a nest. I suppose that's a good metaphor for preparing for a new baby--you are giving part of yourself over to the new life about to come, to make him/her more comfortable. I can totally see myself now as a fluffy, squinty-eyed little bird sitting protectingly over my nest. That's so strange because 6 years ago when I moved back to California I thought I'd be more of the flighty, migrating bird for several years to come... Me? Settle? Why not travel the world, experience a new life whenever I got bored? Man, I got bored so quickly in those days...when I was young...*sigh*. Now I'm a nesting mother-to-be...and it actually feels pretty good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I think I'm starting to feel the restlessness of my youth rubbing off a little too. Just a little ;-)
Thats funny...I feel like I'm trying to reclaim my youth ;)
That's just "momming," not "olding." It won't get any better.
Dearest Karen,
So glad you have this blog page and I can hear how you are doing. Your descriptions are GREAT!
From the pictures you don't look very big, but I'm sure you feel bigger than you look.
XXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOO
Grandma
Post a Comment