Sunday, July 30, 2006

More patience

I realized today that the bradies do NOT freak me out. That is, as long as Evan is still nice and pink--instead of grey or bluish--I don't overreact. He had a couple today while I was feeding/burping him and I just rubbed his back and it stopped. So maybe I am more used to it than I think.

The doctor (let's call him Dr. #3, but this one is Evan's primary doctor) said this afternoon that he will probably go home Tuesday. Then this evening it changed to Friday at the earliest. I feel like I haven't completely trusted the doctors, which is unfair. These are some of the best neonatalogists in the country, and I need to trust them. Evan is just unpredictable, and when we think he's about ready to go home, he shows us that he needs a little more time. He is 6 lbs, 2 ounces, is gaining weight, eats well, so in terms of everything he is doing great. He just needs more time to outgrow the episodes, which are probably caused in part by his reflux.

As JR says, we need to stay excited about him coming home and not get frustrated. I am feeling much better than even a couple days ago. I can't wait to hold him whenever I want! Today it broke my heart to put him back in his bassinet, when he was sleeping so peacefully against my chest (and he showed his displeasure by promptly waking up and crying). I had to leave quickly because the nurses were about to change shifts and do reports and parents aren't allowed then. Sometimes, too, Evan is crying for 5-10 minutes until a nurse has time to get his bottle. It will be nice to have more control over these things, like feedings, when he's home. Slowly I'm gaining more control and confidence, though--today I gave him his reflux medications and fortified my breastmilk. Baby steps, even for me.

4 comments:

christiane said...

Chère Karen
J'admire ta lucidité et je te trouve tout à fait prête à t'occuper d'Evan avec tous les alea que comporte le quotidien d'un nouveau-né prématuré ou non car il y en a toujours.
Tu vas être ravie de faire ces gestes qui créent la relation exceptionnelle mère-fils jusqu'à la fin de nos jours.
Je t'envie car ces moments passés avec un tout petit bébé sont si fugaces qu'il faut en profiter à fond: c'est alors que nous sentons agir au plus profond de nous cette mystérieuse force qui fait que le sommeil, la fatigue deviennent quantités négligeables puisque ce petit homme attire à lui toute l'énergie qu'on ne soupçonnait pas dans notre corps. Je suppose que c'est cela l'instinct maternel...
Et c'est notre immense richesse!
Donc Karen je te souhaite tout ce bonheur avec Evan.
A +++ sur ton blog et merci pour ces photos.
PS il me tarde de vous voir!
Tatie Christiane

Jen said...

Hi my dear sister,
I can't even imagine how hard this has been for you and JR, and I admire your strength. Glad to hear you are realizing your increased confidence. Give my love to that little guy!
Love, Fern (jen)
p.s. I LOVE the most recent photos!

Marie-Claire said...

Chère Karen, Cri-Cri a raison (comme d'habitude) et tu m'impressionnes aussi de force. Mais le + incroyable c'est que cette force va augmenter presque selon la courbe de poids du Grand Evan alors après tu pourras soulever encore plus de montagnes. Il me tarde vraiement de faire sa connaissance et de vous retrouver tous les 3. Marie-Claire

karen said...

Merci beaucoup, Christiane et Marie-Claire. Vous me rassurez, et je suis sure que je vais etre beaucoup plus contente quand Evan sera a la maison.