Thursday, June 22, 2006

FORE!

This is so random...

Yesterday evening, as JR and I sat peacefully in our car at a red light, something hit us. BIM! (French people say "bim"--pronounce "beem"--unlike us Americans who say "bam"). Was that a tire popping? A gunshot? No, not loud enough to be a gunshot... A BB gunshot?

As JR and I recovered from our one second of recoiling in fear, I turned around and scanned the street for possible suspects nearby. Then I saw a golfball slowly rolling in the middle of the street.... It hit our roof! Luckily it didn't crash through a window--or worse yet fly through the opened passenger window and knock me in the face!

As we inched forward at the green light, I saw a lone golfer--an older gentleman--staring confusedly out in the distance, toward the street. I yelled "Thanks a lot, buddy!" and he looked at me even more confused (luckily my hormonal anger didn't make me say something worse). Who would put a golfing range parallel to a busy street anyway? With a low fence? Drivers on Pruneridge in Santa Clara, beware!

Even if he did shout "FORE!" would drivers shut in their cars, helplessly stuck at a red light, really be able to do anything about a golfball whizzing their way?

Why do golfers shout "FORE!" anyway? There are several possible explanations.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that random event. :)

1 comment:

donna said...

Golf balls are scary. I'm glad it hit your car instead of you!